How can I help?
Around Thanksgiving of every year, we give every seafarer a ditty bag which includes many personal hygiene items, a Christian tract, and watch cap. We appreciate your willingness to save donated items, sew ditty bags, or knit crown caps to give them in the Name of Jesus Christ.
Your gift will be a tangilble expression of the love of Jesus Christ. For many, this will be the only gift they will receive. As you work on this project please pray for the seafaers and those who work at Anchor House. It is only through prayer support that others will be able to find Jesus Christ as the only anchor for their soul which is firm and secure (Hebrews 6:19)
Suggested donated small personal items are: toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, combs, nail clippers/files, perfume, colognes, body lotions, shampoo, tablets, pencils, pens, etc. Cash donations are also welcome. Thank you for your donations to the men and women of the sea. If you have any questions, please call 941-722-0764.
To sew ditty bags:
- Cut scrap material approximately 12 inches by 21 inches.
- Fold it over and seam the sides.
- Turn down the top 1/2 inch and seam.
- Insert a single 25″ draw string in the top.
- The bag should be not less than 10 inches by 10 inches when completed.
- We try to include about 10 of the following suggested items in each bag: shampoo/conditioner, disposable razors, toothbrushes, toothpaste, combs, lip balm, tissue packets, fingernail clippers, emery boards, bar soap, deodorant, aftershave, hand lotion, white tube socks, note pads, pens, pencils. (Sample sizes of personal items are extremely good and some items can be purchased at Wal-Mart for about $.50 each.)
Download instrutions…Ditty Bag Instructions (pdf)
Thank you for your gifts of any of the above items that help us assemble more than 500 Ditty bags each holiday season.